The Teachers' Scrounge

News and comments from the world of public education. A middle school math teacher shared what he learned today.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Teacher Suspended for FACEBOOK Avatar


I don't understand this one, so I'm being careful. A Wisconsin teacher was placed on administrative leave because she posted a photo of herself with a gun on her facebook page.

I don't want to get suspended, so I have modified the photo. I have replaced the offensive item with a pretty puppy. (For those of you reading this on Facebook, go to my blog at The Teachers' Scrounge for the image.)

The news story from Madison has concerned quotes from both sides:
"I don't think it's appropriate," Buzzell told 27 News. "I'm not sure why this would be on the computer at all."

"I don't see anything wrong with it," school parent Mark Hagstrom said. "She's on her time to do what she wants."
An image of a gun shouldn't be on the computer at all?! What if she's in the Reserves? Or her brother is? Or... well, lots of things. Does this photo really merit suspension? I could see ASKING her to consider removing it (which she has done).

I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt... sure her avatar looks like a sniper, but hey, my avatar looks like an Obama poster. I'm not about to vote Democratic, and I'm sure she's not about to hurt anyone.

What say you, Internet world? If you think this is bad, tell me why. I want to better understand what's going on.

Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home