The Teachers' Scrounge

News and comments from the world of public education. A middle school math teacher shared what he learned today.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Restoring the Right to Fail

I am amazed that sometimes I can disagree with a reasonable person, and disagree so greatly that we both find the other's position incomprehensible.

This is how I sometimes feel in the midst of debates over grading policy. We're not talking about curriculum or teaching practices, but rather what constitutes "Mastery." While I understand how we could differ on the definition of mastery, the spectrum of definitions is so broad, that I do find some positions hard to understand.

The Seattle Times reports in this article, that Seattle public high schools are going to allow teachers to give failing grades for the first time since 2000.

Previously, students were issued "No Credit" and the score did NOT affect their GPA. I don't get it, but feel free to post your comments.

Labels: ,

Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home